FCC v Wealdstone Corinthians CC

By | August 3, 2013

Wealdstone Corinthians  103 for 6 off 34 overs
Fulmer 102 all out off 29 overs 
FCC lost by 4 wickets 

At relatively short notice we were left with only six players to tackle Wealdstone. Gratefully, Wealdstone offered to get their surplus players to come along so we ended up with ten.

Sensibly we were allowed to bat while our additional players were on route. James and Angus opened the batting but unfortunately James received a lifting ball which swung a bit and was caught at first slip by their sub, Phil (who later batted for us).

Angus played a very steady innings and was joined by Mark Denness. Unfortunately Mark was also out cheaply and Peter joined the fray. He stuck around for a few overs but did not get to the line of the ball and was caught driving at deep gully.

Paul Colloff, batting in the unfamiliar position of 5, was next into the firing line. He received a straight one on the toe and was out lbw. Arjan took to the task and made an impressive 10 before being caught. Angus was joined by Phil and they put on a good few runs before Angus, playing across the line to a straight one, was bowled for a patient 17. This was just after our reinforcements had arrived.

Kanale joined Phil and looked pretty comfortable before being given out lbw for 15 (to one that he reckons he got an edge to). Purvin was next in and hit a couple of lusty 4’s before also being out lbw. Phil was “our” last man out for a well constructed 21. Despite a dismal start we managed 102 and stayed around for 29 overs.

We took to the field with the task of getting WC out for less than 102.

Angus started with pace and accuracy and was rewarded when he bowled one of the openers with his 4th ball. When he had a second wicket in his second over we were well on the way to making a good fist of it (Angus 5-3-2-7). James(5-2-0-5) bowled steadily but without reward.

However Wealdstone’s next wicket put on a solid but slow partnership and with Peter (20 byes – most down the leg side) letting a few go past at the wicket they were making big inroads into our score. Mark Denness (6-2-0-10) kept the scoring down to a trickle and Arjan (4-0-1-20) took a wicket but at relative high expense. Kanale (6-0-1-7) came on an bowled very quickly and was rewarded with one wicket and Peter dropped a pretty straight forward catch off him. Luckily the batsman was out without doing any more damage.

Colly (3-0-1-22) took the wicket of the other opener before he was replaced by Purvin (4.4-1-1-7) who bowled well with some accurate off breaks and took a wicket. However we just did not have enough runs so Wealdstone reached their target in 34th over with 4 wickets in hand.

We would like to thank Wealdstone Corinthians for their sporting spirit in finding the extra players and the way in which the game was played. We all had a drink or two to bring a pleasant end to the day.

Colly had been at the ground early so by the time the players arrived the pitch was all ready to go and all the other tasks were managed without any fuss and with a lot of time to spare before we took to the field. Well done Paul.

Leave a Reply