The early days
Fulmer Cricket Club was officially founded in 1895 and some of the first known records date from 1886, showing details of a village side representing Fulmer against such local teams as Hedgerley, Farnham Royal and Gerrards Cross to name but a few.
The first match played as Fulmer Cricket Club was against George Green on 7 August 1886 and the scores were:
Fulmer: 25 all out
George Green: 48 all out
Fulmer: 24 all out
George Green: 34 all out
Mr J Mowbray took 10 wickets for Fulmer in the match. A photograph, which hangs in the pavilion, shows Mr Mowbray still playing in 1908. The photograph was taken shortly before Fulmer made the permanent move to the present site at Fulmer Common Road.
Prior to the move to King George’s Field, games were usually played at Alhusen’s Field, Alderbourne Lane and records show some matches were played at Gerrard’s Cross.
With the start of the First World War, cricket was suspended at Fulmer. Sadly, another player in the 1908 photograph, Private HJ Dancer, lost his life in the Great War.
Cricket resumed after the war. Bob Charlton remembered the halcyon days when Algie Thompson, the deaf wicket keeper, performed behind the stumps in the late 1920s. Algie was so hard of hearing that his teammates had to appeal for him in the event of a caught behind.
At this time, the Head Gardener of Fulmer Hall tended the pitch. An old shed located at the top of the field was used as a makeshift changing room. In later days, the village hall was used for this function. Teas were served at the Women’s Institute, which is now the white bungalow on the left as you enter the village.
Whilst Bob was performing his magic the then king, George V, died leaving a number of villages as beneficiaries in his will in the form of a recreational fund. The funds were made available for the furtherment of recreation and sports in these villages. This was commemorated by the presentation of two plaques to each village included in the will which depict a unicorn and a lion. These plaques located on the pavilion wall are some of the few remaining examples.
Prior to the Second World War, Fulmer’s fixture list grew to include Beaconsfield, Richings Park, Gerrards Cross, Aspros, Slough Town, Datchet, Ditton Park and Salt Hill.
So Fulmer went to war
Bob Charlton served in Italy and the playing fields he left behind were ploughed up for the war effort, although nothing was ever grown.
At this time some of the characters that still have an interest in Fulmer CC today began to make their mark on club history. Two certain young ARP Wardens remember, whilst on duty at Fulmer, being somewhat disconcerted by two large land mines being dropped from enemy aircraft. One exploded and the other got caught in the trees. Needless to say they reported the mines landing with incredible speed at their local reporting office – The Black Horse! John Rodgers and Denis Watkins went on to do more damage with their batting and bowling than the mines ever did.
In 1947 the start of the pavilion as we know it was being constructed in readiness for the new season. The following people planned and developed the building using the bricks from the original village hall: R Charlton, D King, T Rodgers, L Cooper and E Elderfield. The changing rooms were erected in 1951. Aspros and ICI supplied the building equipment while Guillouds supplied the cricket equipment.
We were extremely fortunate to again take up arms against some old rivals whom Fulmer had played since the very early years. Records show that Denham, Farnham Royal, Cippenham and Slough were some of the sides that reformed after the Second World War. In the years from the war to the present day, many names have passed through the Fulmer Hall of Fame and some are still active members while others have encouraged their children and their grand children to join the club.
The clubhouse was extended in 1971 and again in 1988 to its present state. All the work carried out again by members of the Cricket Club. Denis Compton, cricketing legend and local resident, opened the extension.
Into the new millennium…
The club was fortunate to have the services of Alan Barrett and John Liley during the 1990s. Their commitment and hard work ensured that Fulmer Cricket Club was a thriving entity as it headed into the new millennium. The club celebrated its centenary in 1995 and enjoyed a fabulous week of cricket to celebrate. The club hosted four games of cricket, which included games against the MCC, Stoke Green, a Local Selected XI and the Presidents XI. The highlight of the week was possibly the Barn Dance, when 150 people danced the night away in a marquee erected on the recreation ground.
In 2001 a committee was formed, comprising Fulmer CC members and Fulmer villagers, led by Ian Trott and Edward Guinness. The aim was to raise sufficient money to pay for the installation of a new land drainage system, a new children’s play area and a new pavilion. Through the generosity of local people and numerous fundraising activities, all three objectives were achieved when, in 2003, Edward Guinness formally opened the new pavilion.
To the people mentioned in this short history the club says thank you for helping to keep the club in such good order and to those present day members also a very big thank you. To list the names of everyone who had a hand in Fulmer CC’s history would fill a huge amount of space so to those not mentioned we apologise, but assure you that you are not forgotten.
K Hazell and R Uncle compiled this potted history in 1995 to celebrate Fulmer Cricket Club’s centenary. T L’Angellier has subsequently brought it up to date.